Cosmetic packaging, stability and PAO
The packaging of a cosmetic product is not just a simple container, but it is a fundamental communication tool to guide consumer purchases, deliver brand identity and it is an essential element for assessing product safety.
We can offer an innovative service that meets the needs of both packaging manufacturers and professionals who deal with cosmetics, thus ensuring packaging safety and suitability.
- General and migration tests are essential to ensure that the packaging complies with cosmetic regulations, thus ensuring a sufficient degree of inertia even with aggressive products
- Stability tests are based on international Guidelines and verify that the product does not undergo major/unacceptable changes during its life cycle
- Risk evaluation. The packaging of a cosmetic product must not release hazardous substances that could jeopardize the safety of consumers: the study of the interaction on a case-by-case basis is of utmost importance as well as the highlighting of the elements to estimate toxicological risk
- Screening test: a valid support, especially when the exact composition of packaging materials is unknown
- Specific migration test for particular suspicious and dangerous substances such as metals, bisphenols, phthalates
- Determination of mineral oils (MOSH and MOAH) that could contaminate the cosmetic product
- Set-off studies to evaluate the migration by diffusion of ink components of prints and labels
Mérieux NutriSciences is glad to announce its involvement in the drafting of the first Italian Guidelines on cosmetic packaging – published by the Italian Institute of Packaging– for the definition of packaging characteristics as part of product safety assessment.
Product stability and Period After Opening
Stability studies guarantee that the product abides by all the quality standards when preserved in suitable conditions with regard to temperature, humidity and light exposure. All these factors help to foresee its stability and life, as well as the compatibility of its formulation with the materials with which it will come into contact.
Our laboratories perform a complete series of customized test to meet customers’ needs.
Stability tests are based on international Guidelines and verify that the product does not undergo unacceptable changes during its life:
- organoleptic and sensory properties: appearance, colour, odour and taste
- chemical and physical properties: pH, viscosity, density and ingredients, if required
- microbiological properties: microbial count and challenge test
- monitoring of active substances: UV filters, antioxidants, antimicrobials, etc.
- screening of aromatic substances to determine changes in quality and quantity
- Period After Opening (PAO) – simulation of product’s life
- thermal shock through protocols that envisage alternate cycles at different temperatures
- Stability to light (Xenon test) of finished products
- Photostability of UV chemical filters